Judge Robinson Butler, Pa, In A Grove Moral Lesson, Scott Galloway Biography, Bennett Family Murders Address, Articles K

I switched it to a copper bead at the suggestion of guide Brock Dixon and it seemed to do better.. There was another shop in Georgia that wanted it and I think that had a lot to do with Umpqua calling me.. They have been married 55 years, and he speaks of her with the endearment of a newlywed. It was sometime around 2001 when a sports writer got into fly fishing. FAYETTEVILLE David Knowles can explain in great detail what he calls his complete lack of creativity. The Rootbeer Midge has joined David Knowles' Ruby Midge as one of the flies you cannot be without on our tailwaters. You want your patterns to stand out, so adding a flash of color when it comes to the thread or other types of materials used can entice the fish and flash materials can imitate that bubble we talked about earlier that happens in the pupa stage of the midge. Its going to be a good day.. We have a great place, Northwest Arkansas. The Iridescent Root Beer midge has also been productive on recent trips to Montanas Bighorn River and the North Platte in Wyoming. Knowles' Ruby Midge. Hawgs Illustrated is weekly during the fall, except for the open date. This is the fly that Fayettevilles David Knowles showed me about five years ago. Join the discussion or start a new one on the Forums. I really think the root beer will work anywhere, Knowles said. And, that seemed to work on our tailwaters.. First of all, why do people always ask me that? The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly. I just havent tested it enough to say for sure. Unicoa Outfitters made the Y2K famous, Knowles said. I wouldnt have known about it except for a picture John Sturgis sent this week. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. So a good selection of nymphs, emergers, and drys is important to have in your collection. So I like cotton. Its been bright silver ever since at all of the Arkansas shops. Writing a column about it sent a bunch of curious fly fishers to a couple of local fly shops and soon Knowles had huge orders to fill. Sometimes the fish just wont bite, and that can be frustrating, especially when youve spent a lot of effort to get up early and sit outside for hours on end. Engineers are not creative, he said. He thinks tying with holographic tinsel and cotton embroidery floss is important. The Global FlyFisher has been online since the mid-90's and has been free to access for everybody since day one - and will stay free for as long as I run it. Finally, some of his clients asked for the silver and Dally relented. Catching a cooler full of seatrout can sometimes be downright easy. The second stage is the larva. Fly tied by Dennis Stead size 18. Try other colors of the iridescent thread for this pattern to add some variety to your midge box. A native of Carbondale, Ill., Born moved to Arkansas in 1972 with his wife Carol. It works well as both a cluster and spent imitation of the naturals. I got that filled in less than one week. The first of the stages is the eggs. The holographic effect is green/black. Its not an easy fly to duplicate. He loves the Missouri, Beaverhead, Big Hole, Madison and anything in between. The Pupa is formed once the lifestyle of the larva comes to maturity. Ive seen a couple different variations of this pattern over time, but the one you want to look for has a striking resemblance to a Zebra Midge. You can pick up your areas local edition at over 11,000 marine specific businesses, retail outlets or big box stores. Whether you buy them or have a go at making them yourself is entirely up to you. Smokejumper(sizes 18 & 20) I have medium stretch tubing, tan and shrimp color. Adding a trailing shuck to this pattern works well for imitating emerging blue-winged olives. Then, the root beer midge came along, Knowles said, noting its been his go-to midge on his trips back to his native Montana for about the last five summers. Female midges lay their eggs usually on the surface and in a gelatinous mass that can sometimes float down to the river bed. He is a voter for the Heisman Trophy and has been inducted into the Arkansas Sportswriters and Sportscasters Hall of Fame. Arkansas softball team remained undefeated in the Wooo Pig Classic following Fridays , The dramatics were minimal for Fridays series opener against Wright State for , Kentucky All-American forward Oscar Tshiebwe didnt have his typical game when the , Kamani Johnson will be the only Arkansas player honored on senior day , Will previous happenings affect Kentucky and Arkansas in the regular-season finale at . John Bush and Todd Fecho were catching a lot of trout on this little midge. I am convinced that a straight dry fly hook is just fine for all midges. through several different channels, including PayPal. So the ruby must be tied more carefully and that takes longer.. When it comes to sourcing your midges, it's important to get a mixture so that you can change the pattern up in case a specific pattern is not fooling them. Ask just about any experienced angler what their favorite midge patterns are, and the Smokejumper will probably be in their top 10including me. Its not easy to make them look like mine.. But that doesn't mean that it's free to run. I probably havent fished other flies enough because Im fishing the root beer midge almost all of the time.. With their olive body and dark wings, the Morgans Midge can produce great results in a BWO hatch. I wouldn't have known about it except for a picture John Sturgis sent this week. He does have a funny story about changing the ruby to the silver bead. In our latest fly tying video, Ryan Gabert ties the Iridescent Root Beer Midge. Midge patterns are an essential part of any anglers fly box. Knowles, 83, has a pheasant tail nymph variant that he calls his Prism PT. Great fish, Mary! Steve Dallys shop in Cotter sent a batch back because they werent to the proper recipe. Hey Orvis most of the links are broken. I tie when I get orders, he said. Id be happy to tie up each of the patterns, provide high quality macro pictures and list the ingredients if yall would give photo credit? 70413 lego - Der TOP-Favorit unserer Produkttester. This is slippery slope. Although new flavors have been introduced into the root beer category over the past 100 years, the essential ingredients are still wintergreen, licorice, and vanilla. CDC Transitional Midge (sizes 18 & 20) I started off tying it with a copper bead, like I use for the root beer, he said. Knowles is quick to hand out his new creations to get feedback. Why? Writing about several good days fishing for brown trout produces phone calls from buddies. Sie suchen nach einem 70413 lego, das Ihren Ansprchen gerecht wird? Here are some tips to fly fish with midges. Your email address will not be published. Four, almost always it has some legs. Now that you have the basics of a midge laid down, it's important to know more about how they can benefit fly fishing. That was 24 dozen ruby, 24 dozen root beer. You can see the red lots of red between the black wraps on a ruby a lot easier than brown over brown. "I was about to go to. This is a great pattern fished in tandem with another nymph, but it also works well when trailed behind a dry. Unsubscribe any time. Collections: All Fly Fishing, All Fly Tying Materials, All Products, Bighorn River Flies, Flies, Midge Fly Pattern Collection, Midge Patterns, Products, Trout Flies, Dry Flies, and Nymphs Type: TROUT FLIES More Items to Consider Thus, the ruby midge was born and its proven effective in Arkansas, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Colorado and Montana fisheries. 6. Now its four or five hours. In fact, it still is good in that spot. This is one of the most widely used patterns on tailwaters, considering that midges are present 12 months out of the year. Tungteaser(sizes 18 & 20) This has become a reliable pattern for many tailwater guides because it is not only effective, but its easy to see, as well. Rgrds. Just like the Griffiths Gnat, the key to its effectiveness seems to be in the iridescence of the peacock body. This pattern is a killer on tailwaters, but also works well on our clear water freestone streams as well. 10. I am proud that this is a place that is home to companies like Walmart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt and home to the University of Arkansas. I think there are a lot of similarities between my midges and the zebra midges. Fishing below the surface is where you want to be to perfectly mimic the traits of a midge that hatches under the water. Subscribe To Fly Fishing Fix It works well, but I havent fished it enough.. Most midges are not going to be bigger than a size #16 hook, and so the smaller you can go, the better. There was all this concern about what was going to happen with computers when the calendar hit 2000. It has a purple tungsten bead head, a green, flashabou-segmented, body. This is a simple midge that is easy to tie, very durable, and works well at imitating a midge pupa ascending to the surface. Like I said, Im not very creative, but I do try to solve the issues and take the ideas of others.. After over two decades of fly fishing experience, I can tell you with confidence that tiny midges are a staple in any healthy trouts diet. "I take suggestions and adapt to what works. When making these patterns, you want to make them as subtle as possible. Indeed, the Knowles version of the diamond midge replaced zebra midges as staples on the White River tailwaters below Beaver, Bull Shoals and Norfork dams. Water as clear to 2 feet in depth and clearing daily. There areno substitutes. Thus, the ruby midge was born and it's proven effective in Arkansas, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Colorado and Montana fisheries. Root Beer Midge | Size - 22 48 in Stock. An easy pattern to tie, and a proven pattern through the winter months. Knowles, 83, has a pheasant tail nymph variant that he calls his Prism PT. With midges, you can fish all year round, and for those who have a love for fishing, that can make for a thrilling opportunity. A lot of the midges tend to hatch in rivers that are kept at a consistent temperature. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Pingback: Video: How to Tie the CDC Transitional Midge | Orvis News, Pingback: Tippets: Patterns for Tailwaters, Travel Time, Cooking Streamside | MidCurrent. The lion may be the king of the jungle, but the Zebra is the king of the midges. That fly took off after Knowles shared it with a sports writer and a column touted it. David has never touted me on a fly that didnt work. Fly fishing with midges can make for a more successful haul of trout, even with the frustration that comes from how delicate and small they are. https://foxtrickadventures.com/foxtrickflies/. https://foxtrickadventures.com/foxtrickflies/. Of all the patterns on this list, this is the most unique. Oh, I do. One cool river gets its flow from a spring that forms deep underground. Ryan likes to tie this fly with a tungsten bead to get down quickly, but it can also be tied with a glass bead, or with no bead at all should you want a lighter fly. These are little worms that have segmented bodies. Their midges fished in the Pennsylvania limestone streams fascinated Knowles. Stop being cheap. David is a world class fly tier who created the Y2K Egg Pattern, the Root Beer Midge and many other prolific fly patterns in use . No, its just different. As far as fly fishing goes, you should only worry about three of those stages. Whether you are fishing the Bighorn, the Missouri, or a tailwater elsewhere in the country, midges are among the most important hatches. Whats up with the blog lately? The high-vis parachute is what attracts so many anglers to this pattern. Desert Storm ChartreuseSizes: 20 22ACFMC2090, Beadhead CDC Emeger OliveSizes: 18 22ACFMC2085, Beadhead CDC Emerger BlackSizes: 18 22ACFMC2084, J.J. Chironomid OliveSizes: 12 18ACFMC2097, GT Perfect Midge EmergerBlackSizes: 20 22ACFMC2091, Bodens Brainiac MysisSizes: 18 22ACDPBR1005, Brennan Midge OliveSizes: 16 20KCFMC2016, B Smos BWO Glo EmergerSizes: 18ACDPBS1007, B Smos Purple Glo MidgeSizes: 18ACDPBS1006, B Smos Montana Glo MidgeSizes: 18ACDPBS1005, Skeriks Supa Pupa RedSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1087, Skeriks Supa Pupa OliveSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1086, Skeriks Dew Drop MidgeRootbeerSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1078, Skeriks Dew Drop MidgeOliveSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1075, Skeriks Dew Drop Midge RedSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1076, Skeriks Dew Drop MidgeBlack PurpleSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1074, Skeriks Dew Drop MidgeRed IceSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1077, Skeriks Dew Drop MidgeBlack IceSizes: 16 20KCDPAS1073, Crystal Midge OliveSizes: 16 20KCFMC2027, Crystal Midge BlackSizes: 16 20KCFMC2025, Crystal Midge BrownSizes: 16 20KCFMC2026, Chironomid BomberGreen SilverSizes: 14 16ACFMC2089, Chironomid Bomber Black RedSizes: 12 16ACFMC2088, BH Brassie Bi ColorSilver RedSizes: 18 20ACFMC2119, BH Brassie Bi ColorSilver BlackSizes: 18 20ACFMC2118, BH Brassie Bi ColorGreen BlackSizes: 18 20ACFMC2117, BH Brassie Bi ColorCopper BlackSizes: 18 20ACFMC2116, Bodens Toxic Midge PupaSizes: 18 22ACDPBR1001, Bodens Toxic Midge PupaBlackSizes: 18 24ACDPBR1007, Bodens Holo BloodwormSizes: 18 22ACDPBR1004, Bodens BnB Midge LarvaSizes: 18 22ACDPBR1002, Bodens Bday Midge LarvaeSizes: 20 22ACDPBR1006, Zebra Midge PurpleSizes: 18 24KCFMC2111, Zebra Midge Black RedSizes: 16 22ACFMC2125, Glass Bead Thread MidgeRoot BeerSizes: 16 20KCFMC2049, Glass Bead Thread MidgeCreamSizes: 16 20KCFMC2045, Shanafelts Root Beer JailbirdMidgeSizes: 18 20ACDPPS1001, Shanafelts Lucent Bead LarvaRedSizes: 18 20KCDPPS1004, Shanafelts Jailbird MidgeSizes: 18 20ACDPPS1005, Poison Tongue Olive BlackSizes: 18 22ACFMC2101, Poison Tongue Gray BlueSizes: 18 22ACFMC2060, Mercury MidgePink ZebraSizes: 16 20KCDPJN1035, Mercury MidgeBlue ZebraSizes: 16 20KCDPJN1034, Mercury Zebra Midge CreamSizes: 16 20ACFMC2100, Mercury Zebra Midge BlackSizes: 16 20ACFMC2099, Mercury Midge BlackSizes: 16 20ACFMC2056, J.J. Chironomid ZebraSizes: 12 18ACFMC2094, J.J. Chironomid BloodSizes: 12 18ACFMC2093, John Woods Imposter Pupa(Purple)Sizes: 16 22ACDPJW1025, John Woods Imposter Pupa(Olive)Sizes: 16 22ACDPJW1024, John Woods Imposter Pupa(Red)Sizes: 16 22ACDPJW1026, John Woods Imposter Pupa(Blue Dun)Sizes: 16 22ACDPJW1022, John Woods Imposter Pupa(Brown)Sizes: 16 22ACDPJW1023, John Woods Imposter Pupa(Black)Sizes: 16 22ACDPJW1021, Ice Cream Cone RedSizes: 16 20ACFMC2092, Glass Bead Thread Midge RedSizes: 16 20KCFMC2048, Glass Bead Thread MidgeBlackSizes: 16 20KCFMC2044, Bjorns Flash Midge PupaSizes: 16 20ACDPBO1042, Bjorns Flash Midge LarvaSizes: 16 20ACDPBO1043, Erics Electric Midge RedSizes: 16 20KCFMC2037, Erics Electric Midge BlackSizes: 16 20KCFMC2036, BH Electric Blue MidgeSizes: 16 20ACFMC2121, BH Disco Midge RedSizes: 18 20ACFMC2122, BH Disco Midge GreenSizes: 18 20ACFMC2120, Petes Dick TeaserSizes: 16 20ACDPPS1012, Deep Brassie BlackSizes: 16 20ACFMC2028, Crystal Chironomid TanSizes: 14 18ACFMC2115, Crystal ChironomidRed BlackSizes: 14 18ACFMC2114, Cranfords Quill Midge RedSizes: 16 20KCDPJC1003, Cranfords Quill Midge BlackSizes: 16 20KCDPJC1001, BH Chironomid Pupa RedSizes: 12 18ACFMC2123. Man I love that! Often enough, fish can catch on to the tricks that fishers will pull, and it's good to have a varied fly box to keep them second-guessing. He taught at Texas A&M for nine years and Arkansas, the latter for 25 years, including 14 as professor. It costs money to drive a large site like this. Top 17 Places to Fly Fish in Kentucky And What Flies to Use, Top 15 Places to Fly Fish in Louisiana And What Flies to Use, Top 16 Places to Fly Fish Alabama And What Flies to Use. Morgan's Midge is one of the simpler flies on this list, and similar to the Trailing Shuck Midge, it features, well, a trailing shuck. Guide To Fly Tying. Their midges fished in the Pennsylvania limestone streams fascinated Knowles. The Version table provides details related to the release that this issue/RFE will be addressed. This pattern is typically fished in tandem behind another nymph, but it also works exceptionally well as a dropper below a dry. Midge Chironomids (pronunciation: kira-no-mid) are probably best known as gnats. Fixed the links, folks. Local fly shops clamored for it and big browns were soon taking it in a big way on the White River. Fly fishing conditions are best when the river is low early before power generation begins at midmorning during most summer days. People would get upset and Id get a call for an emergency order. Fast forward to 15 years when Knowles was by then tying commercially, just after retiring in 2001. If you have Color Sharpie Permanent marks, your tubing can be any color, just use the Sharpie. Support the Global FlyFisher through several different channels, including PayPal. Going to the San Juan come June. Knowles said tying his signature midges is not nearly as difficult as the Y2K. Because, if you ever find yourself standing in a river and see a bunch of emergers floating across the surface with their shuck still attached, youre going to look back on reading this article and regret not taking my advice. Hi Joel, this post is two and a half years old. Remember, tie on small! Another is chilled by water drawn from the cold-water depths of Beaver Lake. It worked out surprisingly well. In particular, if you plan on fishing any section of the South Platte, you should keep a few of these things at the ready. Knowles does take breaks. Before you start using midges, it's important to know about the benefits they bring as part of your fishing experience. I used to fish 10 or 12 hours a day on the Montana trip. He once tied for many shops around the country. Seeing as they're not in short supply, you can quickly get access to midges of all sizes and types. It can be tied with either prism dubbing or ice dubbing. I dont know. We often let this fly swing out at the end of our drift to illicit a strike. Take A Break From Those Boring Work Emails, Its our firm belief that life is better when youre casting a fly rod. VIDEO: Musselman, Smith recap Arkansas' loss to Kentucky, Kentucky hands Arkansas third consecutive loss, LIVE UPDATES: Arkansas vs. Wright State Game 2, Razorback Report: Senior Day to include 1. Tailwater We feel the effectiveness of this pattern has to do with the varying color tones in the pattern and the translucency of the red tubing over the black thread. Deal with it. One, its always small, Knowles said. So almost all of my flies had some sort of influence from others.. Sorry about that. I think that helps it. Thousands and thousands.. Please wait. Yes, if the bins are empty in a hurry and the repeat customers ask for a Knowles fly, its sweet music. The Black Rainbow and Purple colors make killer looking midges. That means there's a lot of midges out there that can directly benefit the success rate you have when it comes to reeling in fish. Required fields are marked *, Please note, comments must be approved before they are published. I have medium stretch tubing, tan and shrimp color. Knowles ties his Prism PT with the standard pheasant tail fibers for a tail, three of them would be exact, but who counts? The shop owners like Michael McLellan here in Fayetteville are the ones who do the selling and deserve the money. Knowles first fished when his parents lived in Wibaux, Mont., then adapted to different species growing up in Texas and Georgia. You dont find dull bugs. This pattern is often fished alone, but can be used trailing behind a point fly. Fly fishing with midges certainly makes for a more enjoyable experience, especially when you have a better success rate overall! I remember when she caught that fish. If the Zebra Midge isnt quite flashy enough for your liking, then you should consider buying a few Crystal Midges. I mean, it was invented by Pat Dorsey, so what else would you expect? There was discussion of his Georgia time when he got into fly fishing, finally diving in full bore with a purchase of a Heddon fiberglass rod, then later a Ted Williams model from Montgomery Ward. You can support the Global FlyFisher directly here, if you feel like it. All Rights Reserved. I know either will work and expect to catch trout. You can see a handy video guide below if you fancy trying it out. It got frustrating clicking on one after the other that had no server found, went nowhere, or to a website but not to the pattern. Keep up the good work you guys. More reports and other videos are on the Cotter Trout Dock Youtube Channel Page. I dont know why they called it that, the modest engineer said. A midge is classed as any small fly, and they are found practically everywhere. The Root Beer Person reports that IBC debuted in 1919 like fellow legacy brand root beer A&W (though oddly not 1919-brand root beer, according to Heavy Table) right around the time. It caught big trout in Pennsylvania, East Tennessee and Montana, too. It also takes some will power to put away a fly when the fishing is hot to try something else. It's undoubtedly a waiting game that you need to have a lot of patience in. David Knowles is a long-time Arkansas fly designer and commercial tyer, who developed this pattern. Ill find some prism dubbing later. $ 2.00 This pattern is the number one go-to fly for fishing low water at Taneycomo, but I found that this pattern to be just as good here in Arkansas, especially on the White River. Just tie one to the end of your line and buckle up. 2023 Drifthook LLC. Although fish can fall for the bait, they're clued up to realize when there's danger nearby, and if you're using the same type of midge each time, you might end up having initial success, and then it has little effect. The Iridescent Root Beer midge has also been productive on recent trips to Montana's Bighorn River and the North Platte in Wyoming. This is one of our favorite midge-larva patterns on sunny days. Lighter versions of the root beer midge fish very well in the film and as a dropper behind a dry fly. Kasey Marsters @ FoxTrick Flies The ice dubbing works, but the prism dubs easier, Knowles said. Like your lecherous Uncle Robert at the all-you-can-eat clam strip buffet at the titty bar on If you ever hear a grown man talking about his Greenie Weenie, theres a good chance that hes about to put it in his palm and show it to you. Copyright 2023, The Orvis Company Inc. For Beaver, its the size 18.. Below is the Arkansas Game and Fish Fishing Report February 4, 2021. I want to show off our state. I havent changed my price in the 20 years that Ive been tying for shops. David Knowles is a long-time Arkansas fly designer and commercial tyer, who developed this pattern. In addition to co-founding Fly Fishing Fix with his father, Matt, Zach also runs a personal finance blog called Be The Budget. The photo setup you were using for these types of posts was much better plus half the links I went to didnt work! He might spend a few nights in a motel to catch up on the world and rest. The segmented body is similar to that of a natural, and the white Antron wing looks as close to the pupal wing buds as you can get. Tough to see on the water when fished alone, it is best fished trailing behind a slightly larger, more visible pattern, such as a Parachute Adams or Twilight Parachute Midge. I dont ever see a fly shop owner driving an Escalade. This pattern is effective on trout, and the three creators Ken Chandler, Gene Lynch, and Tug Davenport, marketed it to fly shops nearby. Of course, the best field testing there is from a local shop. Fish it in a team with a heavy nymoh ahead. Its an olive color. Finding the right midges is one thing, but if you're still finding your feet with fly fishing or not having much success with it, then it could be you're not fishing in the right spots. A PT with legs might sell better in a shop because it looks anatomically correct, but if it doesnt catch more fish, the guide is going to skip it. Sign Up for Our Newsletter: . These emerging pupae get stuck in or just below the surface film and are highly vulnerable to trout. Matthew Bernhardt, a third-generation Coloradan, grew up at the forefront of the states fly-fishing revolution, enjoying time on the water side by side with experienced guides and lifelong anglers.By combining his passion for fly-fishing with input from other experienced fly-fishers and guides and his fine arts degree from Colorado State University, Matthew spent five years carefully developing the Drifthook Fly Fishing System, built to help every angler catch more trout.When hes not spending time with his wonderful family, youll find him out on the water catching MONSTER trout, and he anxiously looks forward to the day when his kids are old enough to join him there. Mel tied it with a glass root beer colored bead, Knowles said. Yes, this is a trick question and easy to answer - it's g! Root Beer Midge | Fly Fishing Flies For Less | DiscountFlies Root Beer Midge Quantity in Basket: None Code: N-ROOTBM Shipping Weight: 0.01 ounces Price as low as: $1.05 Enter Quantity for Each Size and Click "Add to Basket": Size 18 (42 Available) Size 20 (38 Available) Add to Cart Product Description Iridescent Root Beer Midge. Spring 2020 Beginning Flyfishing 41914 KIN 135 315, Green Gilled Tubing Midge (with air bubble), Harvester Gilled Tubing Midge (with air bubble), Limeade and Cherry Limeade Dry Flies (Pat Dorsey), Head: Tungsten or Brass Bead Copper 2.0mm, Thread: UTC-Thread 8/0 or 6/0 Brown or Camel. My dad introduced me to the Root Beer Midge a few years back, and it was one of the best moments in my fly fishing journey. So I bought a Thompson vise and tied some poor quality versions.. Clay Henry It can be tied with either prism dubbing or ice dubbing. If you closely at the inch cut tubing above, one is colored with a Brown Sharpie. The micro pearl flash helps imitate the gasses the pupa uses to rise to the surface. Guides skip steps to speed the tying process. Required fields are marked *. So I wasnt very creative and called it my Y2K. We typically fish this pattern in combination with a crustacean pattern, such as a sowbug or scud. As only a retired engineer would do, Knowles worked out the details with elaborate field tests with delicate changes each trip. There are other midges with holographic tinsel that have shown promise, but lack proper field testing. You might want to consider the time of day that pupae often emerge too. I valued worth articles no matter the moment they were done, but do you realize that the most links do not work anymore? "But I call it the Prism PT because that has a better ring to it than Ice PT," Knowles said. That fly was money as soon as Knowles created it late in 1999. Tell a Friend We often fish it as point fly with a Zebra Midge or Transitional Midge trailed behind. Present this pattern as you would a dry fly to visible, feeding trout, and use the pointer fly to help judge where the eat may be. Zach Buchenau caught the fly fishing bug at the age of six, and he's never been the same. Darr does well at catching trout with a ruby midge or root beer midge. Engineer or not, Knowles the fly tier has rich creations with great influence on all of the great Arkansas trout fisheries. It was just as good in north Georgia where competition for it in several fly shops eventually convinced Umpqua Feather Merchants to sign Knowles as a preferred tier and mass produced his Y2K.